Monday, May 20, 2013

Bellybutton Hidden

As I explained to a group of people  what this museum was about, a woman came around the corner to talk to me privately.

She said, "I will offer you my bellybutton for a photo but I want to do it privately.  See, it's hidden by a big scar."

I promised her that I only post tightly cropped pictures of just the bellybutton.  And I always post people anonymously.  "Well, I haven't told you my name," she added.  Indeed she hadn't.

This scar was the result of an operation during childbirth that saved her life.  Maybe it was an emergency C-section.  I'm not sure.  It was over a decade ago and she lived!  Our bodies are here to do the living.  They're not so much for looks.  I shared my facial scar story and that I lived too!  We celebrated together for a split second.

Thank you, anonymous woman, for bravely sharing your story - and your bellybutton!

No comments:

Post a Comment